Skip to main content

How Meditation is Changing My Life


I don’t know why it took me so long to meditate but now that I am, that is all that matters. Multiple people throughout my life have told me that meditation is something that I should try but for some reason, it never stuck. I would do a ten day trial then life would get in the way, like it always does. Or doesn’t it?


I always had this inner gut feeling, or intuition that at some point in my life, when the time was right, I would start meditating. It was only when I started to go deeper into my spiritual journey and follow my intuitions with a clearer, open mind that I knew it was the right time to begin a meditation practice.


I started with the app Headspace. Headspace is great, especially for beginners, since it teaches you how to meditate through animated videos and guided three, five, or ten minute meditation sessions. You can try the Basics package, ten sessions, for free and then after that you can decided if you want to stay with the app and purchase it, or find another avenue of meditation (YouTube, classes, other apps). Headspace has some amazing meditation bundles with topics like health, bravery, happiness, work and performance, students, children, and sports. Here are just a few of the guided meditation courses you can master: Anxiety, Stress, Sleep, Depression, Pregnancy, Cancer, Pain Management, Regret, Anger, Change, Restlessness, Self-esteem, Relationships, Happiness, Productivity, Communication, Recovery, etc. There are literally hundreds of hours of meditations on Headspace! And for those of you who like to stay organized, the app keeps track of how many hours or minutes you have meditated, how many sessions you have completed, and how many days in a row you have meditated. Go you!


Personally, I may choose to purchase the app in the future but for now I completed the Headspace ten day trial twice and now I am going through a 21 day meditation experience from Oprah & Deepak Chopra. This meditation experience is completely free as well and this month's topic is Making Every Moment Matter. Each morning there is a new guided meditation available on the app or website, with new mantras and topics like “the best time of my life is now” and “I attune myself to the flow of life”.





I suggest finding the time of day that works best for you. Experiment until you find what feels right and what sticks. I first tried it at night before bed, then, after I got ready in the morning, and finally I realized the best time for me was immediately after I woke up. As I learned from the late, great Jamie Zimmerman, “RPM -Rise, pee, meditate.” It feels amazing to rise and stay warm under my blankets in my dark room as I tune into my meditation practice and exercise my brain. Once you find what works for you, do it at the same time of the day each day to create routine and structure.


Now that I rise and meditate, my morning routine feels more fulfilled. I do things now with more motivation and order. Before, I would wake up and do things like  - washing my face, eating breakfast, flossing, getting dressed - all out of order. My mind would be all over the place. Meditation brings organization and purpose to my day. Not just my mornings, I go about my day now with more fulfillment and purpose. Meditation is like my reset button, it grounds me, and sets me up for a glorious day. Since meditating I have noticed I am not as moody as I used to be, bickering less with my husband, having less mood swings, and getting aggravated so much less. I am a more calm and relaxed person now. If stress comes in, I know tactics from meditation to allow the stress to pass and react differently. I have significantly less anxiety, which relates to decreased, even non existent depression. My days are more fulfilled and purposeful because mediation has made me more mindful, allowing me to organize my day and get through tasks with ease. I am doing more, creating more, and stressing less. I recently wrote about my mental clarity and increased creativity in my matcha post where I gave up coffee and switched to matcha. With the addition of meditation, those both have also increased tenfold!


Aside from my personal story, meditation has been scientifically proven to mitigate addiction, depression, anxiety, stress, cognitive function, and even eating disorders. Meditation has the ability to improve cellular health, balance hormones, and reduce blood pressure. Meditation is proven to reverse the aging process of the prefrontal cortex, halting cognitive decline and aging. Meditation improves the density and structure of the posterior cingulate cortex (PCC), the region of the brain associated with creativity and self-reflection, as well as the amygdala, the region of the brain correlated to ones experience with negative emotions like stress and anxiety. Another region of the brain, the hippocampus, in charge of shaping new memories from experiences, is shown to strengthen with meditation improving ones memory and mental resilience. Due to meditations effect on reducing inflammation in the body, it is linked to higher immunity and protection against heart disease. Lastly, meditation has the ability to lower blood pressure by dilating blood vessels and improving blood flow.* Whoa!

Below is an info graphic I created on how to start your own meditation practice. It really is incredible the things you can accomplish when you sit down and journal, so for best results, use the info graphic as a template for a journaling exercise. Once you realize that you are in control of your life and you can set intentions and manifest what you want, the possibilities are endless. If you do meditate already, I would love to know your favorite type of meditation, please tell me in the comments! If you do not meditate but plan to, I wish you all the success in your journey, tell me about your goals!



Check out my website to learn more about what I do and sign up for my newsletter for additional recipes, things I am digging, and posts incase you missed them! Please share this post if you think it can help someone you know or your audience. What other things wouuld you like me to write about? Leave a comment for me! Thank you so much for reading and as always, stay healthy! AF

*Source: Meditation Health Benefits: What the Practice Does to Your Body
Melnick, M. Meditation health benefits: What the practice does to your body.
(2013). The Huffington Post.
Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/30/meditation-healthbenefits_
n_3178731.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Should Ditch Tampons and Pads: All About Menstrual Cups

I wish I did it sooner! That is always my answer when someone asks me how I like my Diva Cup. Yea, I know most of the menstrual cups on the market look like something straight from an alien spaceship but I can assure you, they will save you, your wallet, and the planet a ton of hassle! Read below my top reasons why you should try a menstrual cup on your next period and make sure to enter my giveaway at the end of this post! Hold up girl, back up, what the heck is a menstrual cup? Well, I am glad you asked because they are my new favorite thing to talk about and refer to all my lady friends. A menstrual cup is a flexible, silicone cup that is inserted like a tampon but instead of absorbing the blood from your period, it simply creates a barrier and catches blood in the cup like shape. Once inserted, the cup comfortably rests up agains the walls of your vagina, allowing blood to pool into the cup and suction prevents all leakage. There are many menstrual cup companies on the mark

HypnoBirthing: How to Have an Instinctive Birth

I had the pleasure of sitting down with Kieran Doucette, HypnoBirthing Instructor, Birth Doula, and owner of Stork to Swaddle. Being very curious about what HypnoBirthing is as well as how to become and instructor, I decided to chat interview style. Here is what we talked about! Q: Kieran, tell me a little about your background and how you got into the world of prenatal care? A: I have my training for being a Birth Doula through DONA and I am a certified HypnoBirthing Instructor through the HypnoBirthing Institute. I got into this world pretty slowly. I noticed I was particularly interested when I had friends and relatives that were pregnant. I really enjoyed listening to their stories but what I realized was that usually, towards the end, they were disappointed with their outcomes from the standpoint of how their labor and delivery went. Healthy babies and healthy moms but maybe they had an intervention during their birth that they didn't want. I was hearing a lot of di

Quitting Hormonal Birth Control

I got my period young, like many girls do these days. I was twelve years old and other than being pretty young, everything was pretty normal. Everything remained normal until the day I walked into the doctors office and they prescribed me the pill. I was thirteen. I did not go on the pill because I was having sex rather I went on the pill because my doctor told me it would help me regulate my periods and take away the discomfort of cramps. To be honest, I cannot remember if my periods were even irregular. I do remember having slight cramping during the start of my period, but trust me, nothing like I do now. My doctor was so quick and relaxed to give me - this virgin, juvenile 13 year old, the pill. I stayed on the pill for 10 years. I look back over the years between 13 and 23 and I wonder if things like my severe adult acne and dysmenorrhea were actually due to hormonal imbalances or the pill messing with my hormones. You see, I feel like I had ten years of my life robbed by what