Skip to main content

Matcha Matcha Matcha


For almost 4 weeks now I have consumed zero coffee. This is the first time in my adult life that I have gone this long without consuming coffee and I would say I was an avid coffee drinker. I rarely missed a day that I did not drink any coffee, and I typically drank between 1-2 cups per day. And by cups I mean those larger coffee mugs on the 12-16oz size filled to the brim. My coffees were typically healthy, I used organic coffee, dairy free milk alternatives like cashew or almond milk, if I did use a sweetener it was always a local maple syrup or honey. I loved creating tasty seasonally themed lattes. The only thing was, I got sick when I drank them!


It was normal for me to get bad stomach cramps when I drank a coffee, often resulting in running to the bathroom and you know the rest. Having diarrhea after you drink your morning coffee is not normal my friends. Some other negative side effects of coffee consumption that you may be experiencing include headache, anxiety, depression, irregular heartbeat, agitation, nausea, IBS, increased blood pressure, impaired sleep, insomnia, dehydration, wrinkles, accelerated bone loss, frequent urination, tremors, etc.


I finally woke up and broke up with coffee. Now, please don’t take this blog post as me trying to get you to also quit coffee, this is my experience, unique to my body, and it worked great for me! Good quality coffee is actually really healthy for you, coffee contains important organic compounds and minerals like a range of B Vitamins, potassium, manganese, magnesium, caffeine (of course), and polyphenols. These powerful compounds have antioxidant properties which can have the ability to reduce cancer growth, stabilize blood sugars, and reduce cholesterol. Coffee has also been shown to improve cognitive function, assist in weight loss, increase metabolism, improve liver health, and reduce depression. As you can see, the pros and cons of coffee consumption are quite contradictory. I would then make the assumption that coffee consumption is in the eye of the beholder. For some people, coffee is probably extremely beneficial, while for others, it can cause more damage.


Since quitting coffee and making the switch to matcha I have noticed improved creativity, alertness, energy, and focus. My thoughts are clearer and I am more eloquent with my language. I do not have crashes in the afternoons any more and my cravings for stimulants has reduced significantly. Keep in mind, these results may have been from quitting coffee alone, the introduction of daily matcha, or the combination of the two.


I get a lot of inquiries when I post pictures of my matcha lattes. What is this green drink Amanda is drinking now? Lets dive right in. Matcha is finely ground, high grade green tea leafs that are commonly mixed with water to make a beverage but can also be seen in many sweet dishes.


Matcha has a slight green tea taste combined with a maltiness that brings me back to the malt milkshakes I had as a child. One cup of matcha has the antioxidant and nutrient equivalent of TEN cups of green tea and when you consume matcha you are consuming the health benefits of the entire green tea leaf. One huge benefit of matcha is that it contains a potent class of antioxidants known as catechins which counteract the negative effects of free radicals like pollution, radiation, UV rays, and chemicals that can lead to cell and DNA damage. Matcha has been known to support in weight loss, boosting metabolism and burning calories. It is a natural detoxify-er, rich in fiber, chlorophyll, vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc, and magnesium. Matcha helps to calm the mind and relax the body while also enhancing mood and concentration. Lastly, matcha has the powers to reverse and prevent certain diseases such as cancer and heart disease with its antioxidant properties and cholesterol and blood sugar lowering qualities.




I first heard about matcha from Michelle Tam of Nom Nom Paleo, her matcha latte was the first matcha latte I ever made and it's been my favorite one to date. The recipe below is a spin off of her exactly recipe, I wish I could take all the credit.


Iced Matcha Latte
Servings: 1


8 oz coconut water
1.5 oz nut milk of choice
1.5 Tsp matcha powder
1 scoop collagen peptides
¼ Tsp ceylon cinnamon


Add all ingredients to a blender to froth. Blend for 30 seconds - 1 minute. Pour over ice and enjoy!




Many people drink matcha hot as well, made typically with hot water and some nut milk or fat. Matcha is a great drink to add supplements like ashwagandha in as well. Around the world, and especially in Japan, making matcha is a meditative practice that is a ceremonial practice on a daily basis. How will you incorporate matcha into your life?

Head over to my website to sign up for my newsletter where I deliver monthly recipes, new products, and links to my posts incase you missed them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Should Ditch Tampons and Pads: All About Menstrual Cups

I wish I did it sooner! That is always my answer when someone asks me how I like my Diva Cup. Yea, I know most of the menstrual cups on the market look like something straight from an alien spaceship but I can assure you, they will save you, your wallet, and the planet a ton of hassle! Read below my top reasons why you should try a menstrual cup on your next period and make sure to enter my giveaway at the end of this post! Hold up girl, back up, what the heck is a menstrual cup? Well, I am glad you asked because they are my new favorite thing to talk about and refer to all my lady friends. A menstrual cup is a flexible, silicone cup that is inserted like a tampon but instead of absorbing the blood from your period, it simply creates a barrier and catches blood in the cup like shape. Once inserted, the cup comfortably rests up agains the walls of your vagina, allowing blood to pool into the cup and suction prevents all leakage. There are many menstrual cup companies on the mark

HypnoBirthing: How to Have an Instinctive Birth

I had the pleasure of sitting down with Kieran Doucette, HypnoBirthing Instructor, Birth Doula, and owner of Stork to Swaddle. Being very curious about what HypnoBirthing is as well as how to become and instructor, I decided to chat interview style. Here is what we talked about! Q: Kieran, tell me a little about your background and how you got into the world of prenatal care? A: I have my training for being a Birth Doula through DONA and I am a certified HypnoBirthing Instructor through the HypnoBirthing Institute. I got into this world pretty slowly. I noticed I was particularly interested when I had friends and relatives that were pregnant. I really enjoyed listening to their stories but what I realized was that usually, towards the end, they were disappointed with their outcomes from the standpoint of how their labor and delivery went. Healthy babies and healthy moms but maybe they had an intervention during their birth that they didn't want. I was hearing a lot of di

Quitting Hormonal Birth Control

I got my period young, like many girls do these days. I was twelve years old and other than being pretty young, everything was pretty normal. Everything remained normal until the day I walked into the doctors office and they prescribed me the pill. I was thirteen. I did not go on the pill because I was having sex rather I went on the pill because my doctor told me it would help me regulate my periods and take away the discomfort of cramps. To be honest, I cannot remember if my periods were even irregular. I do remember having slight cramping during the start of my period, but trust me, nothing like I do now. My doctor was so quick and relaxed to give me - this virgin, juvenile 13 year old, the pill. I stayed on the pill for 10 years. I look back over the years between 13 and 23 and I wonder if things like my severe adult acne and dysmenorrhea were actually due to hormonal imbalances or the pill messing with my hormones. You see, I feel like I had ten years of my life robbed by what