Skip to main content

Why I Started Eating Liver Every Day


I have always liked the taste of liver. I remember from my childhood, when my Nana or Mom would take me to a diner, I would always order the liver and onions. Imagine being a waiter and having the six year old at your table order the liver and onions? Ha! I am grateful I ate liver as a child, it broadened my pallet and made consuming it later in life for its health benefits that much easier.

So why did I start eating liver again as an adult in the first place? I was suffering from allergy symptoms, bad. I tried every recommendation under the sun, read endless articles, and listened to podcasts on my commutes to and from work. My functional medicine doctor suggested I stop eating dairy. I had already stopped consuming gluten and was following a "primal" way of eating. I loved my raw cheeses and full fat yogurts. I had a hard time going dairy free but now that I am, I can't imagine all the obstacles I would still be facing and barriers I would not be able to break through still consuming dairy. In the primal/paleo community you will hear a lot about consuming organ meat, also called offal. I learned that offal is probably one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Being a nutrient seeker, I knew I needed to add this into my diet. I also learned that many people who suffer from allergies have a Vitamin A deficiency, and liver contains one of the most concentrated sources of Vitamin A of any foods.

Eating muscle meat is a great source of protein, but for a bigger punch of nutrients and minerals, the organs are where its at! Organ meats contain high levels of B vitamins specifically B1, B2, B6, Folate, and B12 (also a prenatal superfood). Along with B vitamins, organ meats are also known to have some of the highest concentrations of naturally occurring Vitamin D and Vitamin A. Lets not forget about the other important fat-soluble vitamins D, E, and K. As for minerals, organ meats are packed with calcium, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, and zinc. Lastly, organ meats contain high amounts of essential fatty acids, including arachidonic acid and omega-3 fats, EPA and DHA.

I want to stress the importance of *high quality* when you are looking to purchase organ meats. You want to look for terms like "organic" - "organic grass fed" - "organic grass fed and finished" -"pasture raised". I can get into exactly what these terms mean in a future blog post but for now know that if you purchase conventional organ meats, it will also contain the toxins, antibiotics, and hormones that were injected into that animal. I have to say though, if you have no access to high quality organ meats, something is better than nothing in this scenario. If you body is craving organ meats, it is usually a sign you have a nutritional deficiency and should try to consume organ meat in any way possible.

I first started consuming organ meats in the form of liverwurst from US Wellness Meats. This liverwurst is delicious, mild, and it contains beef liver, heart, and kidney. I still do consume this, just not as frequently. At the beginning of my healing journey, I would eat about 2oz of this every single day, with my eggs at breakfast. Now, I eat roughly 2 to 3 - 2oz servings per week and try to create meals with organ meats every other week. While I was working to heal my body I believe consuming organ meats daily had a huge impact on my vitamin and mineral deficiencies, allowing my allergy symptoms to clear and never return.


Recently, I found local pasture raised lamb products in the meat department at my local Whole Foods (Bedford, NH). Whenever I see that a meat is local I always go for that product, it is usually a higher step as well (Whole Foods uses a 5-Step program to rate their meat, Step 5+ being the highest quality). My Whole Foods had lamb liver, heart, and kidneys for sale as well as all other cuts of lamb proteins. If your local grocer does not have fresh organ meat, some grocers sell it frozen.


If you cannot stomach the taste of organ meats you can try first hiding it into meals. I usually suggest start with a 1:4 ratio, if you use 1 pound of muscle meat use 1/4 pound of organ meat. Work your way up to 1:2. I have provided a recipe below for lamb meatballs that is absolutely delicious. I served these meatballs with asparagus, pasta sauce, and gluten free rotini pasta made out of red lentils. Other meal ideas that you could hide organ meats in include meatloaf, meat sauce, burgers, curries, stews, etc. The company The Honest Bison has a delicious ground bison heart and liver product that would be excellent in these meals! I have also heard of others making frozen "liver pills" by cutting pieces of liver into very small pieces and freezing them so that they do not taste any liver when they consume. If that is still not for you, there is something called desiccated liver. Typically made into a pill form, this is concentrated dried liver that you can take just like your multi vitamin.


Sage Offal Meatballs
Servings: roughly 5

1 pound pasture raised ground lamb
1/2 pound pasture raised lamb liver
1 egg
1 cup almond flour or meal
2 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
7 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 Tbsp celtic sea salt
1 Tsp black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. If liver is not pre-ground, cut into cubes and send through the food processor (blender will work as well). Or if you have a meat grinder, fabulous, grind that liver!
3. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
4. Form into meatballs.
5. Spread raw meatballs out evenly on a greased baking sheet.
6. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
7. Add to favorite dish and enjoy!



Next time you see liver pâté on the menu, give it a try! Let me know about the dishes you hide organ meats in to feed your family in the comments below. And if you are suffering from chronic alllergy symptons, maybe upping your consumtion of organ meats is the remedy you have been needing all along! Thanks for reading. Stay Healthy, AF


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Should Ditch Tampons and Pads: All About Menstrual Cups

I wish I did it sooner! That is always my answer when someone asks me how I like my Diva Cup. Yea, I know most of the menstrual cups on the market look like something straight from an alien spaceship but I can assure you, they will save you, your wallet, and the planet a ton of hassle! Read below my top reasons why you should try a menstrual cup on your next period and make sure to enter my giveaway at the end of this post! Hold up girl, back up, what the heck is a menstrual cup? Well, I am glad you asked because they are my new favorite thing to talk about and refer to all my lady friends. A menstrual cup is a flexible, silicone cup that is inserted like a tampon but instead of absorbing the blood from your period, it simply creates a barrier and catches blood in the cup like shape. Once inserted, the cup comfortably rests up agains the walls of your vagina, allowing blood to pool into the cup and suction prevents all leakage. There are many menstrual cup companies on the mark

HypnoBirthing: How to Have an Instinctive Birth

I had the pleasure of sitting down with Kieran Doucette, HypnoBirthing Instructor, Birth Doula, and owner of Stork to Swaddle. Being very curious about what HypnoBirthing is as well as how to become and instructor, I decided to chat interview style. Here is what we talked about! Q: Kieran, tell me a little about your background and how you got into the world of prenatal care? A: I have my training for being a Birth Doula through DONA and I am a certified HypnoBirthing Instructor through the HypnoBirthing Institute. I got into this world pretty slowly. I noticed I was particularly interested when I had friends and relatives that were pregnant. I really enjoyed listening to their stories but what I realized was that usually, towards the end, they were disappointed with their outcomes from the standpoint of how their labor and delivery went. Healthy babies and healthy moms but maybe they had an intervention during their birth that they didn't want. I was hearing a lot of di

Quitting Hormonal Birth Control

I got my period young, like many girls do these days. I was twelve years old and other than being pretty young, everything was pretty normal. Everything remained normal until the day I walked into the doctors office and they prescribed me the pill. I was thirteen. I did not go on the pill because I was having sex rather I went on the pill because my doctor told me it would help me regulate my periods and take away the discomfort of cramps. To be honest, I cannot remember if my periods were even irregular. I do remember having slight cramping during the start of my period, but trust me, nothing like I do now. My doctor was so quick and relaxed to give me - this virgin, juvenile 13 year old, the pill. I stayed on the pill for 10 years. I look back over the years between 13 and 23 and I wonder if things like my severe adult acne and dysmenorrhea were actually due to hormonal imbalances or the pill messing with my hormones. You see, I feel like I had ten years of my life robbed by what