Skip to main content

Sleepy Time Magnesium Gummies

Out of nowhere, my eyelid started twitching. I immediately linked that to my current trouble falling asleep and voila! Magnesium deficiency! It is amazing when you can get to a point where you know your body in and out. So with my new detective work, I decided to hash out a new bedtime recipe, Magnesium Gummies!

I love making gummies. With a sweet tooth and all, its nice to have a treat after a meal that also serves as taking your vitamins! Score! These gummies have all the goodness in them - magnesium and chamomile for sleep, dandelion root for detoxification, and collagen for gut health and beautiful hair, skin, and nails! I would suggest only taking these before bedtime or a nap since the magnesium and chamomile together are a perfect recipe for beautiful sleep!

Magnesium has been found to help decrease cortisol, the "stress" hormone,  that can keep you alert and wired at night. It also is well known for its ability for relieve insomnia and help muscles relax. Dandelion root is one of the best herbs for liver detoxification. Dandelion root helps the liver flush out toxins and makes it easier for the liver to digest food.

I made this batch sugar free, for all my Ultimate 21 Day Toxin Detox peeps to enjoy. But if you would like to add in some sweetener for extra goodness I suggest honey, maple syrup, or black strap molasses. This batch makes 6 servings, so add sweetener accordingly. 

Sleepy Time Magnesium Gummies
Servings: 6

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Set Time: 2 - 24 hours

Ingredients:

4 cups filtered water
6 Tbsp Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin (Red Container)
6 Tsp Natural Calm (Original Unfavored) magnesium powder
4 Chamomile Tea bags
4 Dandelion Root Tea bags
3 tbsp lime juice

Directions:

  1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Remove from hear, add tea bags (8 total), and steep for 10 minutes.
  2. While tea is steeping, add magnesium powder to 1 cup of water (can be room temperature or cold). Mix and let completely dissolve. Set aside.
  3. Add Gelatin to a bowl. Pour remaining 1 cup of cold water over and whisk until the gelatin starts to harden. Set aside. 
  4. After tea is steeped, remove tea bags. Start to whisk gelatin mixture into the hot liquid until all the gelatin has been mixed and dissolved.
  5. By this point, the magnesium mixture should be clear and fully dissolved. Add to gelatin mixture.
  6. Lastly, add lemon juice and any optional sweeter.
  7. Pour into a 9x12 baking dish and set in refrigerator until completely hard (minimum 2 hours).
  8. Slice and enjoy!















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matcha Matcha Matcha

For almost 4 weeks now I have consumed zero coffee. This is the first time in my adult life that I have gone this long without consuming coffee and I would say I was an avid coffee drinker. I rarely missed a day that I did not drink any coffee, and I typically drank between 1-2 cups per day. And by cups I mean those larger coffee mugs on the 12-16oz size filled to the brim. My coffees were typically healthy, I used organic coffee, dairy free milk alternatives like cashew or almond milk, if I did use a sweetener it was always a local maple syrup or honey. I loved creating tasty seasonally themed lattes. The only thing was, I got sick when I drank them! It was normal for me to get bad stomach cramps when I drank a coffee, often resulting in running to the bathroom and you know the rest. Having diarrhea after you drink your morning coffee is not normal my friends. Some other negative side effects of coffee consumption that you may be experiencing include headache, anxiety, depr...

Two Easy Steps to Create A Healthier Home

In my opinion, there are two main components to have a healthier home: reducing toxicity and increasing happiness. These are the two concepts I will be writing about today, keep them in mind as an overarching theme throughout the post. While you spend time in your home over the next couple of weeks, ask yourself - Is this toxic for my home? Or, will this increase the happiness in my home? We work so hard to keep our bodies healthy but have you ever stopped to think about the health of your environment? Humans spend a whopping 90% of their time indoors! And in many cases, the quality of our air indoors is 2-5x more polluted than the air outside. I worked hard to make my home exactly how I wanted it, especially because I work from home. See what steps below you can implement into your home to make your environment one that promotes productivity, happiness, and health! Step one - reduce toxicity. An obvious first sign to reducing toxins would be filtering them out with an air fi...

Two Simple Hacks to Optimize Breast Milk

During your nine months of pregnancy, nutrition was hopefully of high importance to you. Maybe it was the healthiest you have ever treated your body because you knew you were nourishing a growing embryo. Now that you have had baby and have decided to breastfeed, your demand for nutritious food continues. You also have the added bonus of caring for a newborn! No need to fret, I am here to give you some simple and effective ways you can optimize your breast milk. Prolactin is the hormone responsible for lactation. Levels rise from 10ng/ml to 200 ng/ml during pregnancy and fall after birth to around 100 ng/ml in those who are breastfeeding.1 Stress, sleep, environment, movement, and nutrition can all affect our hormones and in turn, our milk supply. Simply stated, if we stress too much about our nutrition we might as well be eating boxed cereal! So first and foremost, chill out Mama! Being prepared before birth can help immensely. Try prepping food in large batches and freezing meals...