Skip to main content

Instant Pot Pumpkin Bison Chili

I know it is a little early but.. who doesn't love a good pumpkin recipe? This recipe came to me while we were preparing for our move; I was trying to eat all the food in my fridge and freezer like I was trying to place first in the Nathan's hot dog eating contest! Okay maybe not that intense.. I found a bag of frozen pumpkin from pumpkin and apple picking season last year and it was just the right amount to make a chili! Score!

This chili came out just the way I like it, meaty and saucy, where all the ingredients are the same size and the fat from the beef pools together with the other liquids making a savory meaty sauce. Can you taste it right now? Try out this recipe and if you do not have an Instant Pot no worries! This recipe can also be made stovetop or in a slow cooker. Tag me in your recipe creations using #HealthyAFay, enjoy!




Instant Pot Pumpkin Bison Chili

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

Servings: 4-8

Ingredients:
1tbsp cooking oil (olive, coconut, avocado, butter)
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1lb ground bison
4 cloves garlic
14.5oz fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
26oz tomato sauce
1c beef broth
2c fresh pumpkin or 15oz canned pumpkin
2tbsp sea salt
1.5tbsp chili powder
1tbsp garlic powder
.5tbsp cumin
.5tbsp oregano
1tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp cayenne pepper
Garnish (optional): chopped green onion, avocado slices

1. Set Instant Pot to Sauté function. 
2. Sauté onions and peppers for approximately 5 minutes. 
3. Add garlic and sauté for additional 3 minutes. 
4. Add ground bison and sauté until browned (approximately 5-7 minutes). Once browned, turn Sauté function off.
5. Add remaining ingredients - spices, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pumpkin, and broth. Mix well. 
6. Close lid and set Instant Pot to Manual - High Pressure - 15 minutes. 
7. Allow pressure to naturally release if you have the time or fast release to enjoy right away!
8. Garnish with green onion and avocado. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Easy Steps to Create A Healthier Home

In my opinion, there are two main components to have a healthier home: reducing toxicity and increasing happiness. These are the two concepts I will be writing about today, keep them in mind as an overarching theme throughout the post. While you spend time in your home over the next couple of weeks, ask yourself - Is this toxic for my home? Or, will this increase the happiness in my home? We work so hard to keep our bodies healthy but have you ever stopped to think about the health of your environment? Humans spend a whopping 90% of their time indoors! And in many cases, the quality of our air indoors is 2-5x more polluted than the air outside. I worked hard to make my home exactly how I wanted it, especially because I work from home. See what steps below you can implement into your home to make your environment one that promotes productivity, happiness, and health! Step one - reduce toxicity. An obvious first sign to reducing toxins would be filtering them out with an air fi...

Matcha Matcha Matcha

For almost 4 weeks now I have consumed zero coffee. This is the first time in my adult life that I have gone this long without consuming coffee and I would say I was an avid coffee drinker. I rarely missed a day that I did not drink any coffee, and I typically drank between 1-2 cups per day. And by cups I mean those larger coffee mugs on the 12-16oz size filled to the brim. My coffees were typically healthy, I used organic coffee, dairy free milk alternatives like cashew or almond milk, if I did use a sweetener it was always a local maple syrup or honey. I loved creating tasty seasonally themed lattes. The only thing was, I got sick when I drank them! It was normal for me to get bad stomach cramps when I drank a coffee, often resulting in running to the bathroom and you know the rest. Having diarrhea after you drink your morning coffee is not normal my friends. Some other negative side effects of coffee consumption that you may be experiencing include headache, anxiety, depr...

Becoming a Pre & Postnatal Exercise Specialist: Fit For Birth Q & A

Since I was a young child, I can remember being absolutely obsessed with babies. My friends and I would treat our baby dolls like real babies - feeding them, putting them down for naps, even taking them for walks in their strollers around the block! As I got older that dream of being a mother, while still very prominent, also turned into my career. With my knowledge from  Fit For Birth  (FFB) and my previous education as a Holistic Health Coach, I now run a very successful business catering to none other than pregnant and postpartum moms alike! My education at Fit For Birth completely blew my mind. When I went into the program, I was expecting to learn how to train a women during her pregnancy - what I left with, however, was a very deep understanding of the woman's body during and after pregnancy, and ways to use exercise and movement to correct muscle imbalances and patterns to shift outcomes and prevent injuries. The program I completed was the Pre & Postnatal Correc...